私の日本の経験: Prince of Tennis
Thursday, April 09, 2009

Prince of Tennis

Today was my first Japanese class, and I have to say, I don't think I can handle 300, haha. I am going to attend 200 tomorrow and see if it is a level that is more comfortable for me. I don't think the grammar is a problem, but the speaking and confidence behind the language is just not there.

On a side note, I've had all my courses at least once at this point. The Pop Culture class is interesting enough, and I'm actually going to give a presentation on Pokemon in 10 weeks or so, haha. That's the way to do it. The lady is pretty nice, seems a bit out there, but I think that's a good thing. She's from Europe and speaks English, unlike the Japanese Marketing Professor who was Japanese and isn't as fluent. Everything considered though, he's fairly fluent in the language.

My favorite class at first glance is my History of Tokyo course. Something about the history of Japan, especially the Edo period, fascinates me. I don't even know the words to explain it, something inside of me just wants to rewind time to then to experience that time. It just feels like somewhere I'm supposed to experience, on a very strange and powerful level. I don't think anywhere still exists like this, the closest thing would have to be somewhere out in the country, which I am very interested in visiting. Perhaps I can get people to go with me somewhere or see if I am confident in making a trip out there somewhere during Golden Week. [Like Spring Break, it's a happy time in Japan and most people have it off]. I'm not talking about some day trip either, I'm thinking across country. If I don't go out that way, people are going to Kyoto, and that doesn't sound bad either.

So perhaps the highlight of my day was Tennis Club. As many of you may know, or not know, I love the anime Prince of Tennis. It is very much an anime about tennis, and it pulled me in and I watched all 200+ episodes. Something about a Japanese Tennis Society appeals to me. Granted, being a Ryuugakusei, Study Abroad Student that is, makes me the bottom of the placement of the club and not a leader. I suppose that's better of course, I'm the only Non Japanese Speaking person in the club, haha. I struggled through saying anything meaningful, reminding me I need to practice the hell out of talking to actual people. It was a great experience though, we did random pairings with Senior Members and New Members, and since I'm better than pretty much everyone minus 5 or so of the males, which I may or may not be close, they were holding back in the matches that had newer people that couldn't handle themselves, I didn't actually lose a match with my partner. I believe that my partner was a 19 year old Chinese descent student, although it's possible I completely understood all of it wrong, haha. Anyway, we won 4 matches and tied another, we played 3 game sets and rotated among other groups. It was really fun and it felt great to play tennis. It's a completely new experience when it's all in Japanese, but in the end it's a game of tennis with people playing that enjoy the game. It was actually really nice to get out and join a club despite the fact I knew I'd be drowning myself in a language barrier. But I guess I kinda knew that going to Japan for 4 months, huh?

Anyway.... I have to get up in 5 or 6 hours and I'm exhausted. Tomorrow is going to be nice, classes over at 12:00. I actually think that I might just crash and take a nap in the afternoon if tomorrow is anything like what normally happens after tennis and classes.

Oh, I uploaded some more pictures, I put them at the end of the Day 14 and 15 album, before the Yoyogi one. Nothing too amazing, but be sure to check them out if you want a little more of Kanda.

And I don't remember if I wrote it before or not, but I've decided that I'm not going to try any alcohol here, keeping me alcohol free for 20, almost 21 years. I actually kind of like playing this no-alcohol game, I think I'll keep it up for quite a while, haha. I mean, obviously I'm drug free as well, but I really felt that I would cave in and try some sake or something. I'm legal age here for those who aren't sure if that matters at all. I mean, alcohol is in vending machines here, haha.

Alrighty, peace!

4 comments:

GPA said...

Glad to hear that you're giving the tennis club a shot (Japanese barrier and all). I'm sure you'll have a good time, once you get to know some of the students.
Also glad to hear that all your classes have finally materialized. Started to wonder if the International Exchange was a "myth" or something Ha Ha.
Looks like you're going to be a busy beaver for the next few month, but I know you're enjoying every minute of it.
So long for now Mr. D.

jlarue6245@embarqmail.com said...

Hi, Damian.. this japanese sounds hard. good for you taking japanese tennis... being you love the game, the language will come naturally when you hear the others speak.. we learn sometimes from listening.. especially sports words and effort... good luck with that. the classes sound doable.. the trip cross country sounds interesting also. Claude had mentioned that trips out in the country would benefit you and give you more insight into the country... so make a plan.. Happy Easter... we will be leaving florida the 23rd, then traveling north, we hope to spend quality time with Danielle for her 17th birthday... take care and keep the photos and news coming. Gram & Papa

Anonymous said...

HiDamian,I found your blog very interesting today. I loved hearing about your classes.I'm sure that by playing tennis with Japanese speaking people it will help you with the language a lot.
Maybe you are a reincarnation of a samurai from the Edo period since you feel so strongly about it.That's if they had them at that time. I hope you get to make the trip into the country that you want.
I'm so glad that you are enjoying Japan so much.It makes me happy to think of you there learning & meeting so many different people.
Bye for now,
Gr.M

Anata-no oji said...

Damian

I don't think any other country was as isolated from the world for so long a period of time as Japan during the Edo era. You might enjoy the book Shogun by James Clavell - very popular in the 70s and even made into a TV mini-series. Partly based on a true story of an English Captain who becomes a samurai.

My favorite places outside of big cities remain Hokkaido and the town of Beppu on Kyushu (famous for it's natural hot springs). I sent you a nice presentation on Kyoto and you could spend a month visiting shrines and temples - not a bad choice. My best friend married his Japanese girlfriend (of the four of us guys in the house we shared I was the only one who didn't marry his Japanese girlfriend though I came close). Susan and I and he and his wife have planned for years that after the kids are all grown we'll start either in the north or the south and traverse the whole country staying in a different hot springs resort each night. Probably a couple years off still - maybe you'll want to come with us?

We are off to the Bahamas and I will not have email access for the next 9 days or so. By then you'll be fluent!! Really do try to talk with people - they greatly appreciate gaijin trying to speak Japanese. I used to say "Watashi-wa hanbun Nihonjin desu" and the response was always "Uso mitai".

Keep having fun - if you're interested in the Edo era I once again recommend the 47 Ronin museum in Sengakuji.

Claude