私の日本の経験: Ghibli Museum : 私のおすすめ!
Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Ghibli Museum : 私のおすすめ!

Title means, "My recommendation", because this place is awesome. I'm a very large fan of Miyazaki's films and I think that maybe in terms of role models or people I look up to, he might be the top. I just now realized this though, but his goal in life with his animated films fits in very well with my outlook in life. He creates films that are not only for children, but for people of all ages, and no matter the age, wants to make them feel like children in a way. His films are spectacular, and Spirited Away is a movie of animated film records.

"The film received many awards, including the second Oscar ever awarded for Best Animated Feature, the first anime film to win an Academy Award, the first (and so far only) non-English speaking animation to win, and the only winner of that award to be traditionally animated or win among five nominees (in every other year there were three nominees). The film also won the Golden Bear at the 2002 Berlin International Film Festival (tied with Bloody Sunday). Spirited Away overtook Titanic in the Japanese box office to become the highest-grossing film in Japanese history."

Anyway, the Ghibli Museum was great. So great that if someone asked if I wanted to go again the answer would be an emphatic yes. The ticket's were only 1,000 Yen, and you have to buy them a few weeks in advance, and specify what time you are coming. They do a great job in keeping it not too croweded, as Studio Ghibli fans around the world come here. There were so many people of different ethnicicities all having a great time, and despite the very childish themes, 90%+ of the people were 20+. It's just such a great place.

Now, if you're interested or if I may share my emotions with you, visit the following:

Studio Ghibli Homepage (English)

Video of inside the Museum (With Subtitles)

My Photo Album! (With me!) : http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2080891&id=3708410&l=1dfd46d933

So, I'm not really sure why, and I'm not necessarily saying it's a bad thing, but when I watch Miyazaki's films and even think about the Museum or watch that video, I start to tear up, haha. Every time I watch My Neighbor Totoro (which is soooo cute), I end up crying a little from how much I like it, haha. Same goes with a lot of really cute things. I think they just get through to me in a way that I really can't explain, so this museum, everything in it, really was just such a great experience.

If you're ever in Japan / Tokyo area, take a train to Mitaka 三鷹 and go here. Well, first buy a ticket in advance, haha. But do it. You won't regret it. And if you do regret it, you should probably stop reading this blog because I'm really not sure I can be friends with people who don't like Miyazaki or Studio Ghibli. And I might not even be joking. =P Really though.

Enjoy the album and video!


4 comments:

GPA said...

Finally got caught up on your picture albums. They were fantastic. Don;t know how you manage to upload and comment on the photos the way you do. You're getting to be a real photo factory by yourself. How are you keeping up with your studies doing this. Or, are you not sleeping.
Anyway, we're really enjoying you travels and descriptions and pictures.
Talk to you later

Anonymous said...

I watched the video on the museum & I loved it. It is beautiful & winsome inside. I wonder what kind of home he lives in himself.
I can see why you loved it there since you are such a fan of his & there are so many reminders of his stories.
Thank you for sharing such wonderful experiences with you.
Gr.M

Anonymous said...

ha,ha,meant to say in the last one,thank you for letting US share such wonderful experiences with you.Gr.M

jlarue6245@verizon.net said...

Hi, Damian.. now that was interesting. the video was really nice. especially when you couldn't photograph inside. i liked the Robot from Laperta. awesome. you looked so happy there.. yes, the photos must take a lot of your time. you are a master with the camera and the internet.. good for you.. we are so blessed to have you as our grandson. we are so proud of you, Damian.. thanks again for the wonderful trip to the Ghibli Museum. Love, Gram & Papa