私の日本の経験: Here, Fishy Fishy Fish
Saturday, June 27, 2009

Here, Fishy Fishy Fish

So it looks like I've been updating my blog once a week, on Sundays, for the last half a month or so, so in the very least I should today.

Yesterday I went to the Tsukiji Fish Market with some fellow IESers! For those of you who don't know, Tokyo (as well as most of Japan) are huge consumers of fish. All of that fish comes from somewhere, and in terms of Fish Markets, Tsukiji has one of the biggest and busiest in the world. The place was pretty amazing, seeing all the stuff that goes on there and how busy everyone is. It isn't without it's flaws though, haha, the employees there over the last 25 years or so have become quite angry with Tourists and Foreigners, and are actually rather aggressive. It's almost to a point of feeling endangered, haha. Basically, the roads and paths are pretty narrow, and everyone uses this kart machine things, and with all the tourists in the way, they have to slow their work down and everything. I guess Tourism has become a big problem here, because the people don't go to buy fish, only to get in the way of what's going on. Regardless, I went, and it was pretty amazing.

There were some unsightly things there of course, as not all the fish are dead by the time they arrive. There are people that hack apart the fish on tables more or less right in front of you, and some of them aren't dead before the hacking. The one guy nonchalantly just tossed the fish on the table, hacked off it's head (blood spatter a little) and threw it in a pile, just to continue doing it. Hey, it's a job. I just couldn't do it, haha. There are also things that are mostly dead, well, they probably are dead, but muscle spasms make them continue to move. Such as the eels that are pretty much in their own blood. Lovely! You should look at the pictures, although I'll warn you if dead fish are something you can't handle you might want to not look because about 20 or 30 pictures are dead fish related.

So today I think I'm going to try mock packing to see if all my stuff will fit to bring back home. I have since accumulated quite a few souvenirs for both myself and family, as well as having bought Taiko for the Wii that has 2 drum controllers of decent size. I may have to ship some stuff home beforehand so it all fits, I guess I'll know later today.

It also has come to my attention that perhaps I was a little harsh or poorly wording of a previous post. To my family, grandparents, and everyone who has done something for me, I regrettably did not mean for it to sound that I don't appreciate everything that's been done for me. I wouldn't be here were it not for my family and grandparents, and my life wouldn't be nearly as good as it is were they not there helping me along the way. It's true, I'm graduating next year from college and I would very much like to start my own life afterwards, but please don't think that means I don't appreciate everything that's been done for me up to now. Sorry for everyone that this hit the wrong way =/

So yeah, check out the pictures of the Fish Market, also of the last week or so before that.

Fish Market :
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2082728&id=3708410&l=489354272f
Other pictures : http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2082634&id=3708410&l=b91c8f4b27

1 comments:

jlarue6245@verizon.net said...

Hi, Damian..we know you appreciate all that your parents and grandparents have done for you, now and through out your whole life. We understand the feelings you are experiencing and it is okay.. It was nice of you to make note that your family has always been here for you.. that is a good thing.. We enjoyed the fish market, we bet it smelled real good.. down in ny city they have the fish markets, we have been there, and in china town,near the fish markets. not good.. smellllly...it is something to visit though.. different for sure.well you have 14 days or less now.. the count down.. prepacking your stuff is probably a good idea.. it is probably better to send a box home, if you can go to a post office,they have these boxes to ship stuff. we do accumulate stuff don't we..? the food looked good, the streets did look a bit crowded.. enjoyed it though.. take care.. enjoy... let us know how your grades turned out.. okay. love, Gram & Papa