私の日本の経験: Kamakura & More
Sunday, June 21, 2009

Kamakura & More

So this Saturday was our last IES Sponsored Field Trip, and it was to Kamakura. Kamakura information is here and in the first album's description, so check it out. Basically it's a town with many temples and shrines by the ocean. It was a nice trip, check out the pictures, there are about 300 of them.

Let's see, besides that, everything has been great! This last week I decided to do something crazy, and that was do all my final papers. I mean, the concept isn't that crazy, but the way I went about doing it was probably wrong. I decided that allow my impatience and OCD take over, and I spent about 25 hours in 2 or 3 days writing and researching papers. It was a hell of a week but I'm extremely happy with the results. My Marketing Paper and Pop Culture turned out really well, being 11 pages and 22 pages respectively, double spaced. The Pop Culture one was rather fun to read and research, I hope it's what my sensei is looking for, haha. The History of Tokyo one was about 13 pages I think, and half way through I struggled to find the right way of approaching what to do next, so I'm not sure how good that one is. I think the content was well written but I jumped around quite a bit, so I don't know. Guess we'll find out. I would say that I'll go back and revise them, but to be completely honest, I have a few weeks left here, so I probably won't, haha. Also, I'd be lying if I didn't say I'll have fun in the next week or two when everyone is frantically scrambling to get their papers done and I can do what I want because they are done. Yeah, tis' a great feeling.

So yeah, I'm going to finish up some of the homework I have for later this week because I'm currently not doing anything meaningful. I just had some Takoyaki, which are balls of bread and squid and stuff, and also some large balls of something that resembled a bready chicken or something. I really don't know but they weren't bad. I didn't want Ramen or Curry today and the Yakitori stand wasn't out today to my dismay which was where I was going to buy lunch. For dinner I bought some sandwiches and a pizza thing.

Alrighty, well, here are some albums below of Kamakura, and one that I don't think I posted of a week or two of randomness.

Kamakura Part 1 :
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2082282&id=3708410&l=bb03349c7f
Kamakura Part 2 : http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2082284&id=3708410&l=b62ec40c08
Random Days : http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2082133&id=3708410&l=f067d630f3

5 comments:

GPA said...

Hi-Just finished my trip through Kamakura. Found the stone work and statues much different than any of the other places you've been to. They were very interesting. Also thought the temples and shrines were beautiful. Can see why you hate leaving. Just think, in a few weeks you'll be on your way home and you can start putting your photos to music and on a DVD like your ones from Rochester. Will make an interesting show. You can publish your blog as a "Stranger in Paradise" (in case you don't know, that was a song title way before you were born Ha Ha.)
Anyway, really enjoyed the trip.

Mommasan at Home said...

Finished the first 200 pictures-they were beautiful. Like GPA said, it seemed that they were different and older than the other places you have visited. I think it was worth the trip just to see the Budda. Very cool! You have seen so much in the little time you have been there-I am so happy you got to experience so much of Japan. Now you have to cram as much as you can in the next few weeks! I am sure you will find interesting places. Can't wait to see the next set of pictures! Continue enjoying your trip-thanks for sharing it with all of us. It almost makes it feel like we are there!
Love, Mom

jlarue6245@verizon.net said...

Hi, Damian.. this was sure different.. enjoyed the flowers, gardens, the fish Ha. pigeons. and most of all the budda.. that is huge.. the bridge of red are different too.. I lost my internet for a few days. back on track.. glad to see you worked hard to get your papers done.. good for you.. now you can see as much as youcan during the next few days.. do you actually leave on the 12th or before that? the temple in Kamakura was very special.. glad you were able to go.. great job... love, Gram and Papa

jlarue6245@verizon.net said...

Hello,, watched the next group of 103. nice. the temple and statues were awesome..by the way your hair cut looks good.. I agree, better cut then in your eyes... annoying you.. are you completely well now from the flu you had.. no more fever, headache, nasal issues? hope you are all better. you sounded good on the note you wrote. thanks.. the flower temple.. great. some great flowers and the view of the ocean or bay, and the houses etc. how far did you travel by bus to get to Kamakura? glad you were able to do it.. thanks again.. Gram and Papa

jlarue6245@verizon.net said...

Hi, Damian ,, the foods look good. interesting, we see somethings we recognize, but it is so good that you are willing to try.. and enjoy.. the shrine was nice. Toyoko is just wonderful. Kanda looks to be a modern college. well kept. Life is sure different there than here.. this experience will always be with you, and sometimes, like Claude says, you will be reminded of something you ate or saw while you were there. We hope that you are 100% well now. we hope your grades will be GREAT.. 78 -88 days.. wow.. we are coming to an end... Did you buy anything special with your gift? we are up to date now with your photos and comments.. we will wait anxiously to see what is next.. we will miss our daily tour of Japan... thanks again. Love, Gram and Papa