私の日本の経験: A Month Left
Sunday, June 14, 2009

A Month Left

Hello world!

Today I'm in a rather good mood, despite the current situations at hand. Before anyone gets concerned, they're really not all that bad, so let's just get into it.

First, for those who might keep up on my Facebook through whatever means, you might know that I've been a little sick the last few days. Correction, very sick a few days ago and recovering the last couple days. Good news first, I'm feeling pretty good today, a little sniffly still but I don't feel like someone threw me down some stairs into a patch of freshly cut grass while submerging my ears under water. Yeah... that was Friday, haha. Anyway, I'm feeling a lot better, can smell things, don't have to reach for a tissue ever 5 minutes (just every half hour or more). Whatever I had is definitely on it's way out.

Perhaps the most amusing part of this whole thing deals with my hair, haha. When you're sick the last thing you want is to feel sweaty and irritated, and my hair was in my eyes and making my head itch with sweat and also my ears. I decided to fix that problem with a pair of scissors and a razor, haha. It marks the first time I've ever given myself a haircut, and everything considered I think it turned out okay. I'm sure that anyone could have done the same job as good or much better, (maybe not Helen Keller, and that's a maybe XP), but it's comfortable and that was my goal. Success in my book!

Alright, next unfortunate event is the upcoming weeks of work. Well, maybe not work, but Final Papers around the corner. In roughly 3 weeks I am going to have 3 Papers of about 10 - 15 pages to research and write. Marketing will be a joke, so that one doesn't count, but the other 2 are actually a substantial amount of work. For what it's worth, I only have to pass the classes for my school to count the credit, and my GPA isn't affected, and while I'm not looking for an excuse to be able to slack, it's there nonetheless. It's not my style to blow a paper so I'm not going to do that, but I'd be lying if I didn't say it takes off at least a little pressure.

Being as sick as I was on Friday I decided to tell my teacher I couldn't stay in class and just went home and rested (I'm glad I did, Friday was a bad day), and we had review in class for a test on Monday that I'll probably have to take. Today I've been reviewing, so it's not too bad, and it's a 文法 (grammar) test mostly, so I'm good to go.

Let's see.... ah yes, the last unfortunate thing is probably the worst and in a way not so much the worst at the same time. That is my leaving of Japan in approximately one month's time. The last 3 months have been an incredible experience for me, but the dreams of me being back home leave me with an incredible empty feeling of missing here, and these dreams are perhaps even worse than nightmares where people die because of the impending emptiness. But they are what they are, dreams. As I think about what actually is at home I realize that the dreams are just tearing at parts I hold dear to here and not the truth behind what I really want, and that is my girlfriend. She's the best part of my entire life, and her not being here is the hardest thing I've ever done. For those who aren't familiar with my situation with her, we've been together over 3 Years now and it's not one of those things where it's a temporary thing, I very strongly would like to get married someday and live out my life with her. Having her back home makes the whole returning to America thing easier. In fact, and not to be intentionally hurtful to anyone non-girlfriend related, but if I didn't have Marissa I'm not sure I'd want to go back. This has been the single best experience of my life, and while I might not know the language or all of the culture yet, Japan is a great place. A month's time from now I'll be back in the States, and I promise you that this is not the last time I'll ever be in Japan. Living in Japan for reasons stated above might not be in my future, I couldn't make Marissa live here, I can't even get by with the language, much less someone who's never studied it before, or to my knowledge even particularly likes it. I definitely want to visit again though, if nothing else to share experiences with people that want to have them.

Sorry for the lack of updates as of late, as I said I really have been under the weather lately. Since the last post which was a week ago almost exactly from now, not a lot has changed. I've been playing Pokemon on my DS and that's been fun, the newest one out is great (Pokemon Platinum) and would strongly recommend it to anyone wanting to get back into Pokemon. Other than that I've just been studying Japanese, occasionally going to arcades with two of my Japanese classmates, and been trying different foods. I can't think of anything really, in fact, I don't even remember last week for some reason, haha, but if something comes to mind then I'll share it. I actually remember sleeping until 4:30 PM on Wednesday, the first day I started feeling not so hot, and 4:30 is NOT a time that I'm used to sleeping until, haha. I mean, if I stay up until 9:00 AM or 10:00 AM that morning, maybe, but I actually went to bed around 4:00 AM that night, so ~12 hours, come to think of it, might not be something I've ever done before. Might be a personal record, haha.

In completely unrelated news, I've been listening to a couple different musical groups the last week. Here are some samples!

Nesian Mystik - New Zealand Hip Hop Group :
For The People, Nesian Style, If It's Cool. Sorry for the not-so-perfect quality, but you get the point of the group, they're basically a non-violent Hip-Hop group. I love their style, they aren't vulgar and the only thing that makes them sometimes not a family suitable group are their occasionally sexual themed songs. Wikipedia says this about them : "Their cultural backgrounds unite a remarkable diversity of Polynesia by bringing together Māori, Tongan, Samoan and Cook Island ancestry." Good stuff.

Jonathan Coulton - Sings a genre I didn't know existed, and that is that of Nerd Rock, haha. Yes, songs about scientific / nerdy / geeky subjects, like Robots, Monsters, Zombies, Math, and other things. Here are a some of my favorite : Mandelbrot Set (so good, haha) I recommend checking out the full video but that video is so good, his most famous song Re: Your Brains, and some other ones are good but that's good for now.

RSP - What of my favorite J-Pop groups, and this song is so good. It's my current favorite song. 「アンマー~母唄~」 . It's a popular song nowadays here but it's not without it's criticism. First of all, I guess it's a cover song, and since the song is about respecting figures such as your mother, people think it's a dirty way to make money, that is, copying a song of this nature and releasing it to make money. I don't really care, I love RSP and I happen to like the way this one sounds compared to the original which I have heard.

Well, that's all for now, off to review a little more for my Japanese test then probably Pokemon, Supernatural, bed!

Peace Everyone!

6 comments:

Anata-no oji said...

Hi Damian

Wow, seems like you just got there and it's close to over. Will you have any extra time to travel before you head back home? Kyoto? Fuji? Nikko?

You are surely right that this experience will shape you forever - no matter what direction you head in the future. I look at so many periods of my life as great times and each of them is "great" for a different reason. I matured so much in Japan. I was there age 21 to 24 and for that entire three years was out of the US. Even now it's hard to distinguish what was just growing up at that young adult age versus the shaping of me by my Japanese experience. I had graduated from UC Berkeley and thought that I was so worldly and open-minded - got to Japan and realized how limited my view of life was. Things that I thought were givens about human nature I realized were products of my own cultural viewpoint - it was quite a shock. I toyed with staying "forever" and still wonder where I'd be now if I'd taken that path. I've been back 4 times in 35 years and look forward to visiting more frequently now that Susan and I are free to travel more. We want to go to Koya-san, the home of Zen Buddhism. It's in the mountains sort of near Osaka but has hundreds of square miles of hiking trails, many temples, you can take part in meditations if you like - I'll send you a link to your email address.

All of the guys I lived with continue to be very influenced by Japan. Recently reconnected with one of my first roomates. He's never been back, but is now retired and studying the art of Japanese swordsmanship - I'll also send you a picture of him which tells alot. Black yukata, standing in the river, Japanese style headband, hand on his katana and holding a fly fishing rod in the other.

The Art of The Samurai is opening this week at the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco - will be here for 3 months. It's supposed to be great. Did you get to the Edo museum to see the history of woodblock art? Josh and I saw it in November - really something, even Josh at age 17 really liked it.

Keep up your Japanese, you never know when that will open a door or come in handy. Marissa may surprise you and just love Japan if she has a chance to visit. I still think of retiring there - more than anything because of the safety and the element of honor in the country. I wish we had anything approaching the emphasis on personal and familial honor that is universal among Japanese. Every time I visit I'm again impressed by the manners, the honor, the safety, etc. But, while my family are all fond of Japan, they speak no Japanese and like you I would not force someone I love to make a choice.

Kelli swears she wants to climb Fuji one day - maybe we'll all do that.

So, what a great experience for you - I think I'm sad to see it come to an end. As I've said several times, reading your blogs reminds me of my early discovery of the country and it's people. I know you'll return but more important what you've learned will stay with you forever no matter where life takes you.

Claude

Mommasan at Home said...

Hello Damian,
Well it does seem like time flew while you were gone-I can't believe you have been gone for 3 months. I too am dreading you coming home-long showers and steaming up my bathroom, sleeping all day and doing nothing, let's see, shall I go on? Oh yeah, playing games til the wee hours of the morning, smelling McD's clothing in my laundry room...yeah, I could go on and on. But I won't-ha! I do understand how you feel-and I do believe you may have an emptiness for awhile when you get back. But like anything else, time heals the emptiness and you will get back into the swing of things. You will look back at your trip with fond memories and you will stay in touch with others to keep those memories alive. I am just thankful you loved your experience and that you got to experience soooo much. Everyone here so enjoyed your blog, your pictures, your comments, etc. You made us all feel like we were there with you. You have seen so much in such little time and made some truly wonderful friends. And maybe someday you will revisit the land you love so much.
I am happy that you are feeling better. I hope you get healthy for the remainder of your stay. There is nothing worse than being sick when you are trying to study and finish out your stay. I think it was wise of you to head back to your room on Friday so that you could rest. I hope you pass the test on Monday. Maybe since she knew you were sick she will let you retake it at another time.
As for the remainder of the papers/tests, etc., I would hope you would do your best and take the time and effort to achieve a good grade.
You will have to post a pic of your new haircut! I am sure you did an Edward Sissors Hand job. But as long as you are comfy, that is all that matters (maybe not to Marissa though, Ha!).
Haven't had a chance to listen to the music you linked and will try to do that tomorrow. I am sure I will like it as we seem to have the same taste in music.
Well good luck and enjoy your last month in Japan.
Love, Mom

Rob said...

If you're willing to sit cramped up for >12 hours then I'm perfectly willing to poke some holes in my luggage and stow you away when I go!

jlarue6245@verizon.net said...

Hi, Damian.. yes, this time for you in Japan, has sure flown by and quickly.. You still have best part of a month.. enjoy it all.even the tests and papers .. Being able to walk with you through the gardens, moats, mountains, and trees, castle,museums, etc. it has been so great.. seeing everything through your eyes.. thanks for sharing your wonderful experiences. the zoos were great, the red panda bear. just everything. You will do the best you can on your studies like always, and that standard of your's is what got you the scholarship, and this wonderful time in Japan.. You are a very smart, educated, and dedicated young man.. Your Marissa is a lucky lady.. We wish you well and lots of happiness with your future in life with Marissa. Your parents and grandparents and your sister and friends will all be happy to have you back .. Congratulations .. You are wonderful. Damian. We love you. Gram & Papa

Gr.M said...

Hi Damian,we were very glad to hear that you were feeling so much better. It was very wise of you to take Friday to rest up & recover. If you took the test on Monday I hope you were able to do well even though you missed out on being in class to do the review.
I think that Marissa does deserve a medal for being so understanding about you going for your dream & being patient while you have been fortunate to realize that dream. It took hard work & daring to accomplish on your part but it also took a lot of caring & hard work by others to help you do what you are doing. I'm sure you will be more than glad to thank your Mom for all that she did by working for & with you to see that your dream has come true since part of Japanese culture seems to be about revering one's parents & family.
I'm sure it will be very hard to say good-bye to all those you have become so close to & to a land that you seem to identify with. However I think it would be a good idea to give your own country a chance to show you that there are many wonderful things here to experience also if you will take the time & effort to seek them out.
It has been a wonderful experience for all of us who have followed your steps as you have explored & enjoyed Japan. We have been given a chance to see so much of it through your eyes & we have relished all of it.Thank you for sharing it with us.
Love you, Gr.Mom

jlarue6245@verizon.net said...

Hi, Damian.. how are you feeling now? we think you had the flu. by the symtoms you stated.. bed rest and lots of fluids are the healers.. I am feeling better, been dizzy for a month.. vertigo.. but on the mend... excited about you getting your exams over and getting your grades.. see as much as you can while you are there... studies come first though.. CJ got his drivers licence. he is working and enjoying life. got his school physcial for college today.. love, Gram & Papa